Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What is a 'Stock Market?'

I don't follow current events, except for when it has to do with a girl drinking pesticide in fear of black holes. Odd news is the only news I care about. So, when I hear constant talk about "pullouts," naturally, the first thing that comes to mind is...well, you get the idea.

I don't know what is going on with the stock market. And honestly, I don't even know if I am supposed to care. I don't care. But should I? Probably not. I don't own stocks. Why would I care if a market full of them crashes?

I do know that it will have repercussions in other areas I am involved with, but still, I can't seem to get myself to care.

Is it only in my slightly paranoid head that it seems ironic this comes right before an election? To be more specific, does it seem ironic that this comes right before Bush leaves office? Sabotage, maybe? Probably not, but it's fun to think about. If I was President and my 2nd term was coming to an end, I'd leave a giant mess for the next President to clean up. It'd be hilarious. Unfortunately, if this is Bush's idea of a joke, it's affecting all of us instead of the next Commander in Chief, whoever that unlucky man may be.

The words "Rome" and "burning" come to mind. Is history repeating itself?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I wish I knew what it all meant. I don't follow stuff like that either, but it sure as hell scares me that everyone else is so scared.

lol Rome burning does come to mind. The United States has always been compared to the Roman Empire, I just hope we don't have too much in common with it.

Missy said...

Jesus, I just read the story about the girl in India. That's crazy, epecially considering The Haldron Collider is broke and won't be ready til next April.

Rob said...

I don't know how the stock markets affect everything, it all seems like a bit of a game to me.

What's even more bizarre is that the whole economy is run with money that doesn't even exist yet (credit)! Seems a little crazy to me!

brandon said...

Yeah, that LHC story was nuts. It's weird that it did break down too. I was watching a show about it a couple weeks ago and they were talking a "clench." A clench is when the liquid helium that is stored at absolute zero starts to warm up. They have all kinds of things to try and prevent these and escape plans for if it happens.

A few days later, there in a clench.

The stock market, I don't understand it. It does seem like a game. And you're right. Anytime they need money "oh, let's just print some more! haha!" And then they wonder why the value of the dollar keeps dropping.

Idiots.